RE: Netscape 6 a new release

by "Terence de Giere" <terence(at)humanfactors.com>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:20:20 -0600
 To:  <wendover(at)soon.com>,
"'Gutenberg list'" <hwg-gutenberg(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Arthur
Could it be that Netscape 6 is ignoring the DTD
because SYSTEM refers to a local file system and
an that it is necessary to refer to the DTD using
http://etc. when on the Internet?

I did just one book for the HWG Gutenberg project
and found that Netscape implemented a lot of CSS2
syntax. Are you using the the HTML method of
".classvalue" to specify a class in the
stylesheet? This construction is forbidden for XML
(but OK for HTML only) according to the CSS2
specification.

For an XML construction

<para class="first">text...</para>

the style sheet for CSS2 has to be coded

para[class~="first"] {} or

for all elements
with that class attribute

*[class~="first"] {}

in CSS2 for XML and NOT

para.first {} or

.first {} or

*.first {}

I found this worked fine in Opera4/5 and the
Mozilla 5 betas and now Netscape 6 but
interestingly this CSS2 method did not work in
Internet Explorer 5 (Windows) which appears to
support the CSS1 method. I have not yet tried
IE5.5. When I did my book, this CSS2 syntax made
the format work better for Opera and Netscape but
at the expense of IE5. Since CSS2 is the W3C
recommendation, I went for the CSS2 syntax and let
IE format slide.

Terry de Giere
terence(at)humanfactors.com