Re: Request

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:49:20 -0000
 To:  "Hwg-Gutenberg (E-mail)" <hwg-gutenberg(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
It's a good point, Dewayne.  In fact, Thomas Habing made the same
point a short while ago, and you'll find, I believe, that
"timem11.css" uses proportional rather than absolute font sizes.
Bear in mind that the style sheets aren't a fixed feature -
certainly not yet anyway - they're simply there to enable us to
view the files without the XML markup.  A secondary aspect of
this project could certainly be to tighten up the style sheets
attached to each file, and, ultimately, as the final DTDs are
developed, to create a suite of "master" style sheets appropriate
to specific *types* of document, rather than to specific
documents or small groups of documents, as is the case at the
moment.

So when you're marking up a document, feel free to either modify
one of the existing style sheets (giving it a new name of course)
or to create a brand new one.  I created the "anne11.css" style
sheet as a quick modification of an existing style sheet, and
intend revamping it with proportional font sizes when I've got
the time to do so - I'm an advocate of accessible design, and
wouldn't propose using fixed font sizes in anything intended for
general release.  :-)

In fact, I'd go so far as to say there's a job there for anyone
who would care to undertake it - work through the existing style
sheets converting absolute font sizes to appropriate relative
ones.  Even if what we've got now isn't what we end up with in 6
months time, it's probably still worth amending the existing
style sheets.  If anyone's interested, give me a shout.

Regards,
Donna
--
dms(at)zetnet.co.uk