Re: How to treat emphasised text?

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Sun, 2 Apr 2000 12:40:33 -0400
 To:  "Rob Parker" <RobParker(at)access.net.au>,
"Gutenberg list" <hwg-gutenberg(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> The etext has converted almost all the emphasised text (in both hard
copies
> I have, shown in italics) to uppercase - almost, but not all: an
emphasised
> "I" is shown as "_I_". My inclination is to convert all such text (mostly
> single words) to the inline <ital>lowercase</ital> form.

I would go with your inclinations!

To add to my
> inclination, the hard-copy versions also use uppercase for a different
type
> of emphasis in parts of the text (labels and signs); these words and
phrases
> would then be apparent as different from other emphasised text. Is this an
> acceptable method of marking-up the etext?

It's probably small caps. If this is the case use <emph
type="smallcaps">TEXT IN CAPITALS</emph>

If it is infact true capitals then I think it would be OK to convert to
Capitals without the emph element, but I would use <emph type="UCASE"> just
to be on the safe side.

Frank