Structure, semantics, and style

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Sun, 13 Feb 2000 01:12:39 -0500
 To:  <hwg-gutenberg(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
(from some private e-mail, but of general interest.)
> Hello,
>     If you have the time I'd like a little explanation about the  "style
> from structure" comment. I have been working with WAI compliant
development
> and I come across this often.

The structure of a document is such things as  headings, chapters, sections,
lists and paragraphs. In other words it is how the content is laid out.

The semantic markup is such things as names, places, dates, titles, in other
words it is a description of the content.

Style is such things a color font size, letter spacing text alignment. In
other words it is how the content is displayed.