Re: Gutenberg (Quotation Marks: A Final "Mea Culpa")

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Tue, 8 Feb 2000 23:51:13 -0500
 To:  <navir(at)worldnet.att.net>,
"HWG Project Gutenberg" <hwg-gutenberg(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>>Unfortunately, neither of the two major
>>browsers supports these CSS2 properties. In fact, no commercial browser
>>supports this feature.

I think this raises an important point vis-a-vis Project Gutenberg.

Althoug it is nice to have stuff that displays in current user agents, our
view should be much longer term. If we stick to standards, then there is a
strong likely hood that what we do today will be useful in 100, 200, 300
years form now! if we pander to the flawed de facto hacks of today future
implementors and archivists will wonder what the hell we are talking about!

Frank