Re: Multi-browser testing

by "Lauri Vain" <optima(at)hot.ee>

 Date:  Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:20:27 +0200
 To:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Everybody,

> > How are people testing their web pages and certifying them all the
> > versions of browsers we have hitting the market now.  With I.E, I know
> > it's almost impossible to get multiple version on one pc, but it's
>
>   First of all, I think it should be possible to have both-IE4 and IE
> 5 installed in your system. And with Netscapes, you just put them under
> different directories and you`re ok.

Yup, you can have multiple versions of IE on your machine. When you have IE4
installed and want IE5 too, you have to click the "Backwards compability" (the
text could have been a bit different). This installs IE5 and keeps IE4. Somebody
(on hwg-basics?) tried to install IE4 on a machine with IE5, if I'm not
mistaken, s/he couldn't do it any way s/he tried.

> test things on Netscape, because, I don�t know, maybe it`s just me, but
> usually, what NS shows ok, IE shows ok as well, but the other
> way(IE->NS) around it doesn`t exactly work that easily.

Yes, IE is more forgiving. When it finds an error, it tries to find out what you
meant with it in the first place, then it emulates the result. Netscape, on the
other hand, renders the page not how the author meant but how it's written.
Write valid code (not sloppy code) if you want your pages to show up correctly
in Netscape. Netscape is more useful in testing as it doesn't "automatically"
correct your code, it renders the code as it is!

Yours,
Lauri