RE: Setting Up a mobile operation

by "Jason Brett" <jbbrett(at)zigzagnet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:40:02 -0400
 To:  "Tom Keatley" <tom(at)piedpiper.com.au>,
"HWG-Languages" <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Tom,

Sounds like a good way to go about it. You might consider dropping in a nice
loud midi or .wav file to "get their attention" anytime a new request is
made. My experience has shown that people don't check their computers as
often as they are supposed to, and something like that will help overcome a
certain degree of "forgetfulness". You might even have the sound effect
sound everytime the page refreshes is their are unattended requests, kind of
like that cool "customer needs assistance on aisle 7" recording you hear in
Target.

As for how to go about designing the system, It ought to be pretty simple.
If your client has as many videos as most video stores with five locations
;-), you'll probably want to use SQL for better and faster database access
(unless you are planning on using a higher-end package. I go for cheap
first.) For more than 1000 records, flat-file text databases will move
pretty slowly.

I don't know that I'd have time to actually work on this project (for money
or a kiss)with you, but feel free to email me with any questions, and I'll
give you any advice I can for $25,000 or for Free, whichever you prefer.

Regards,

Jason Brett
ZigZag Internet Solutions
Powerful Solutions. Explosive Results.