Re: Finding a pattern without regexp() - contd.

by "Srinivasan Ramakrishnan" <srinivar(at)md3.vsnl.net.in>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:42:47 +0530
 To:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>,
"Cyanide _7" <leo7278(at)hotmail.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

Since cyanide_7 wanted some info on the pattern to be matched here's the
info. I agree that a pattern matching equivalent o regexp() once developed
will be useful.

I'm basically looking for a word, so the pattern would be a space, followed
by the word entered by the user, usally 5-6 characters in length, follwed by
another space, or a sentence terminator like a (.) or (?) or (!)

Finally I will be extending this to handle wild cards also. And as you can
see this is the part where regexp() comes in!

Since I'm also be porting this to other platforms, which may or may not have
indexOf() functions, I can't use them. Another version of this may be using
a file as the data source, so I'm looking at something versatile enough to
also handle a data stream.

-Srini

P.S: I come up with the vaguest problems don't I?