Re: book and missing posts....

by "Srinivasan Ramakrishnan" <srinivar(at)md3.vsnl.net.in>

 Date:  Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:49:24 +0530
 To:  "Tom Grenier" <tom(at)sqlman.com>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I would think "CGI Programming on the World Wide Web" (by Gundavaram)
> would be essential (examples in perl) and "Web Client Programming with
perl"
> (by Wong) is great for a deeper look at what's happening.

CGI Programming for the WWW is a good book, and so is web client
programming, but IIRC, both are available for free. Although the 2nd book is
no longer in print.

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/

Along with quite a few other books of O'Reilly.

I wouldn't recommend "Web client programming with Perl" if you had to buy
it, not that you can, unless you managed to get an old unsold copy. It
professes a technique that wouldn't be interesting to anyone other than
geeks. BTW, I like it a lot!

And although O'Reilly has become some sort of a cult publisher in OpenSource
circles, and need I say specifically Perl circles, I must add that it does
not pay to ignore the other publishers in the market.

If you are buying O'Reilly buy the Perl CD bookshelf, which is a steal for
the whole Perl collection at O'Reilly which is about 6 books. I have a
version that is a bit dated, but I guess O'Reilly must have updated the CD
to reflect the new editions as well. Plus you can carry around all the books
if you have a laptop, and travel a lot.

I also recommend the O'Reilly Java bookshelf, and "Thinking in Java" by
Bruce Eckel (available for free from http://www.mindview.com or
http://www.bruceeckel.com)

Another book recommendation is quite useful is "Core Java" from Addison
Wesley (I think), and "Java 2 the complete refernce".

> If you don't already know perl - DON'T try to learn from Programming Perl.
> This book is a must as a perl reference (probably THE perl reference), but
is
> not written to learn from.  It's written by Larry Wall (the original
author of
> perl) with Tom Christiansen and Randal Schwartz, and if you are going to
do
> much perl programming you will need - after you know the basics.
>
> Schwartz wrote Learning Perl - if you've had a minimum of a good C course
and
> then spend a weekend with this book, you will walk away as a fairly
competent
> perl programmer.
>
> All of the above books are published by O'Reilly & Associates.  Here's a
couple
> of useful links for this stuff:
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/
> http://www.perl.com/pub