Re: What shall we do with the W3C DOM?

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Thu, 7 Nov 2002 23:11:07 -0500
 To:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>  Of course, now that I have provided data to third-parties in XML, I
understand
> much of the "good."  But I still don't see it taking over HTML any time
> soon.

I think the above is another misconception about XML.  It's purpose is not
to replace HTML, but to complement it.  True, the advent of XML has brought
about XHTML, but that was to simplify and incorporate stricter rules into
HTML so that it can be better "married" with XML applications.

You can thank the media who, early in the game around 1998 and 1999, failed
to grasp the technology and misrepresented XML's purpose, helping to fuel a
lot of misconceptions --I myself remained misinformed and believed these
hyped stories until our company actually started using it to distribute
documents to third parties.

For those who still think XML was meant to replace HTML, read on:

http://www.ucc.ie/xml/faq.xml#replace

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/12/13/xmlhtml.html

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/talkback/talkback_175706.html

http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/xml/intro/