RE: meta tag

by "Ann Ezzell" <amcbainezzell(at)alum.mit.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:07:56 -0700
 To:  "'Peter Guse'" <pgooseman(at)yahoo.com>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Not sure if this would help you, but here's the approach I use for our
company's web-based document control system:

Whenever I make changes to the documentation, I create a page named
something like changes27April2000.asp (I happen to use ASP, but this
should work for HTML pages, as well). On the main page of my site, I
check to see if the user has a cookie called something like
changes27April. If so, I just load the site as usual. If not, I write
that cookie to the user's machine and redirect to the
changes27April2000.asp page, where I have a description of the
relevant changes, including a link to the new version of the document.

That way, the user only gets bugged once about the changes. I also
have a list of links on the main page to all the change documents.