Re: Needing some help here ;)

by "Richard Walker" <richardwalker(at)onebox.com>

 Date:  Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:08:36 -0500
 To:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>

From: "Ryan Fischer" <ryan(at)gigabee.com>
To: "Nicholson, Dale" <DNicholson(at)APACMail.com>;
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 12:54 PM
Subject: Re: Needing some help here ;)

> Umm... no.
>
> When the JavaScript is sent to the browser, it will have nested
double
> quotes which won't work.
>
> Try it for yourself:
>
> document.write("Good Morning, <cpanel print="DOMAIN">");
>
> The above will throw a JavaScript error.
>
> But change it to this:
>
> document.write("Good Morning, <cpanel print=\"DOMAIN\">");
>
> And no error will occur.

That's why I really like HWG-Languages!!!  We'll come up with so
many solutions.

Here, another variation:

print qq~
   document.write('Good Morning, <cpanel print="DOMAIN">')

   more html and javascript here....
~;

or:

print <<EOF;

<script language="javascript">
<!--
document.write ('Good Morning, <cpanel print ="DOMAIN">');
// this works
// so does this
// etc
// etc
// -->
</script>

EOF

> --
>  -Ryan :: ICQ - 595003 :: GigaBoard - http://www.gigaboard.net/
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
> Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 12:23 PM
> Subject: RE: Needing some help here ;)
>

> > If you were just using print without the qq your statement
would be
> correct.
> > However, qq~ tells perl to read everything as plain text
until the
> next
> > occurrence of ~.  Essentially, you tell Perl to use ~ instead
of " for
> this
> > statement.
> >
> > The example I provided would treat the quotes as plain text
and print
> it
> > out.  Having multiple quotes inside the print statement is
irrelevant.

> > Below is a larger working example from a Perl CGI program
that writes
> HTML:
> >  print qq~
> > <FORM NAME="search" ACTION="http://myurl/my.cgi"
METHOD="POST">
> > <BR>
> > <FONT="arial">
string
> (exact, non
> > case sensitive match - leave blank to see all documents):<br>
> > <INPUT TYPE='text' NAME="keywords" SIZE=40></p>
> > <INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="search" VALUE="Search all text">
<INPUT
> > TYPE="reset
> > " NAME="Reset"></form>
> > <hr noshade width="90%">
> > ~;
> >
> > As you can see, there are multiple quotes throughout the
code.  The
> actual
> > code sent to the web browser is below, note that it is
exactly like

http://www.gigaboard.net/