Re: Difference between PHP and JavaScript

by "Nasser Dassi" <nd264(at)is9.nyu.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:23:21 -0400
 To:  "HWG-Languages" <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I wouldn't think it misleading: ASP is nothing.  It is a DLL (dynamic link
library) which preprocesses scripts before sending a web page to the client.
The power of ASP is the embedded security features, and database
connectivity inherent within the processes (along with other features).  It
is an idea, it is not a script.

The way it is told what to do requires a scripting language, and JavaScript
& VBScript are the two that function best (yes, there is a component that
allows PERL to be the language of choice).  In the end, everything is
manipulated via JavaScript (the interactivity of a web page is manipulated
via JavaScript).... but it is not misleading to say that it is server-side
capable, along with PHP and PERL and VBScript......... making the single
distinguishing factor between these scripting languages be the fact that
JavaScript is also client-side capable (whereas PHP, PERL, and seldomly
supported VBScript are not).

I don't mean to give a rough time, it's just that I've seen many people
misinterpret what ASP is, and what it does... it is not a language, it's
merely a parser (such as PERL has one) for JavaScript and VBScript on the
server.... having said that:
  JavaScript is the most versatile scripting language out there (wouldn't
you agree?).

Nasser Dassi
  Developer for Beliefnet
  Multi-tier IT / eCommerce Consultant (NYC)
  Full-time New York University (NYU) Student.