Re: Cross-browser performance of javascript...

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:57:03 -0500
 To:  "Scott Rushing" <srushing(at)wfubmc.edu>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> If you want to see what I mean, take a look at
> http://152.11.118.106/irc/frames.cfm.  I'm looking for advice from
> anyone who has done heavy duty Javascript array processing or any
> resources that might help me figure out why IE and Netscape are so very
> different in their performance.

 Scott

 Netscape had the original Document Object Model which was a simple
hierarchical way of handling web pages.  I assume we are talking about NN
4??    The DOM starts with the window, the web page, then it breaks things
down into objects like the form, a named object in the form etc.  This is a
very simple way of putting it, but it works like a military chain of
command - only the shape and paths change for each page depending on what
objects are on the page.  The DOM concept allows you to kind of think it
objects somewhat like the computer does so you can interact with the objects
to extract data or put in data.

 I.E. has a different DOM that allows more types of objects and allows
different paths for exchanging data within the object.  Its more complex but
more flexible.  Anyway, that's why the difference.

 I see that in I.E. it can take a long time to update.  I was getting
updates that took longer than 20 seconds and this was over broadband on a
fast computer.

 A good source on the DOM is the JavaScript Bible by Danny Goodman which
treats DOM in English.  You also might want to look at
http://www.dannyg.com/javascript/res2/resistor.htm

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net