Re: Databases

by "Karin Ransdell" <kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:48:22 -0500
 To:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
-----Original Message-----
From: Harlequin <harlequin(at)dccnet.com>
To: hwg-languages(at)hwg.org <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
Date: Thursday, April 13, 2000 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: Databases

>Just get them to make one of your directories able to write. If they don't
>then tell them you'll find another ISP. If they say no then it's just
>laziness on their part. It'll literally take a tech person 10 seconds to
get
>it working...

I think "get them to...." is a little presumptuous.  If a host doesn't
provide it as part of their service or package, then no amount of cajoling
is going to get them to make a customer/client a special case.  If a
customer finds that their host doesn't provide a necessary service, chances
are that he or she will need more services down the road with the same
outcome.  There are far too many good hosts out there that offer a wide
range of services and service packages from which to choose.  Unless there
are some mitigating circumstances (such as not being the decision maker),
then considering a new host -- or even a package upgrade from your current
host, if available -- wouldn't be a step in the wrong direction.

It's much easier now to change nameservers and such than it used to be in
the "good old days".

KRansdell
Business Development
Squished Mosquito, Inc.