Re: JS quirk in IE5?

by "Srinivasan Ramakrishnan" <srinivar(at)md3.vsnl.net.in>

 Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:57:48 +0530
 To:  "Phillip Perry" <info(at)inter-design.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

Thanks for trying, as I had said in a later email to the list, the problem
does not occur when the page is accessed from the web. However when I browse
locally, (from the harddisk that is) I get the source-view of the page when
I refresh the page.

Quite similar to how Netscape displays the src in the main browser window,
if the server does not set the proper mime-type.

I'm intrigued as to why this is happening, I've tested the page on

Win98, IE4

Win 95 SR2 IE5.00.2314.1003

Win95/98 Netscape 4+

Win NT IE4

Debian Linux Netscape 4+

and the problem occurs only in IE5, but then IE5 is curious in that way.
Infact I had this problem on IE5, where my mouse pointer used to disappear
sometimes in the IE5 window. Later after many posts to the MS support pages,
I found somewhere in the MS KB that IE5 would not be compatible with an MS
Mouse Driver ver 1.10, and indeed I had ver 1.1! So I would have to download
ver3.00, which was ONLY 13MB (wow, some mouse driver!).

So you see MSIE is quite dicey in that aspect. If all of you aren't having
any problems refreshing the page from a local disk, then it's something
specific to my machine.

Thanks,

-Srini