Re: Two questions

by "Srinivasan Ramakrishnan" <srinivar(at)md3.vsnl.net.in>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Dec 2000 02:29:39 +0530
 To:  "Sara Winters" <saraw(at)fcs.net>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

I think this question belongs in the basics list. Anyway I'm sure you'll
receive a lot more answers there, but not to disappoint you, here goes.

HTML is a markup language. It is not a typical programmatic language that
makes logic decisions. It is a presentation language telling the browser the
specific layout of a webpage / HTML page. However it is the browser's
decision to lay out the page as it desires.

CSS is also a markup language. One cannot call these languages as much as
configurations. Sort of like typesetting a document. If you look at
languages like TeX which also allow logic into the typesetting, you see how
HTML does not at all aspire to be even that.

The primary reason may have been that at the time HTML evolved from SGML it
was felt that programmatic manipulations would not have to be done on the
client side. After all the earliest goal of HTML was only to allow a
hypermedia environment.

Ofcourse the need for programmatic support was soon felt, and that is what
you get with JavaScript, Java applets and ActiveX components to name a few.

HTH,

-Srini