Re: ASP response.cookies domain attribute

by "Srinivasan Ramakrishnan" <srinivar(at)md3.vsnl.net.in>

 Date:  Fri, 3 Nov 2000 00:50:10 +0530
 To:  "Phil Babcock" <pbabcock(at)bgsgroup.com>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Phil,

I don't know too much ASP, but with cookies the domain attribute can point
to only *one* domain, and a cookie can be active in the following order:

Cookie 1 has a value - mydomain.com
Cookie 2 has a value - secure.mydomain.com

now these 2 cookies will work for mydomain.com, but the secure.mydomain.com
will work only within that subdomain while mydomain.com will work for all
subdomains and the root as well.

There is no way we could set more than one domain as a possible value to a
cookie, and even with multiple cookies, the values will be sent only if they
are subdomains like in the above example.

If you are trying to authenticate or store preference info for a set of
domains in a single cookie, you should select one of those domains as the
cookie domain, and redirect all requests to the cookie domain and the cookie
domain will read the cookie and pass back the value in the querystring.

Another way would be to use JS to set the cookie for each of the domains.

-Srini