Re: Javascript to VBScript variables

by "Andre Crane" <andre(at)terracrane.com>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:55:51 -0500
 To:  "Shull,
Conrad" <cshull(at)shscares.org>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
To get the end result that you are looking for, you will have to find out
which browser the user is using via the server variables collection in ASP.
The following code tests whether the user is using any flavor of Internet
Explorer:

----------------------------
<.%
Dim strBrowser, strVar
strBrowser = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT")
strVar = Instr(strBrowser, "MSIE")
If strVar > 0 Then
    ' this is internet explorer so do these statements
Else
    ' this is not internet explorer so do these statements instead
End If
%>
If you have control of the IIS server, then I would instead use the browscap
component that comes with IIS.  If you are using the browscap component
however, I suggest finding a more complete version of the browscap.ini file
that comes with the Windows installation. Juan Libre has a great one, and so
does cyscape.com, if they still give it out.

Andre