Re: y2k in netscape 4.08

by "Rythmist" <Rythmist(at)gamewood.net>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:23:52 -0500
 To:  <ml(at)digitaldaze.com>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I find a very big difference between the two. Jscript is for IE. The choice
is the user's.

JScript is the Microsoft implementation of the ECMA 262 language
specification. It is a full implementation, plus some enhancements that take
advantage of capabilities of Microsoft Internet Explorer. This tutorial is
intended to help you get started with JScript.

JScript is an interpreted, object-based scripting language. Although it has
fewer capabilities than full-fledged object-oriented languages like C++ and
Java, JScript is more than sufficiently powerful for its intended purposes.

JScript is not a cut-down version of any other language (it is only
distantly and indirectly related to Java, for example), and it is not a
simplification of anything. It is, however, limited. You cannot write
standalone applications in it, for example, and it has little capability for
reading or writing files. Moreover, JScript scripts can run only in the
presence of an interpreter, either in a Web server or a Web browser.

JScript is a loosely typed language. That means you do not have to declare
the data types of variables explicitly. In fact, you cannot explicitly
declare data types in JScript. Moreover, in many cases JScript performs
conversions automatically when they are needed. For instance, if you try to
add a number to an item that consists of text (a string), the number is
converted to text.