Re: Those F*@$!*&% pop up ads.

by "Andre Crane" <andre(at)terracrane.com>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:42:03 -0400
 To:  "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is a problem everywhere. What you need to do is get a policy change, or
at least get that policy down in writing. I guarentee that if there is a
meeting with a two or more departments represented, and marketing is asked
where they get their data from, or if they even do any research-- that you
will see some people squirming.  We did that and it saved us a LOT of time.
When they send you a functional spec or product idea, they should also send
an ROI.  The basic idea behind a product marketing department is that they
must react to the numbers, and try to form intelligent ideas as to how to
improve numbers.  They should be providing information about what trend they
are combatting, and should also have researched their projections as to what
will be gained.
At eTour, once marketing was made responsible for collecting and reacting to
real data, we had litterally half the number of bogus projects come through
development as there were before that move. Before this was implemented we
had 8-10 marketing people whose only jobs were to come up with projects for
development, and they sent us things like, "We think that the 'Next Site'
button should blink."... We said: "Ok..  Why? What are you trying to
accomplish?"  And that stumped them.

I wish you luck,  I know that I have never once clicked on a popup ad, and
my wife just plain leaves sites that do that to her.  There are too many
alternatives online to have to put up with that annoyance.

Andre L Crane
andre(at)terracrane.com