OT: User Tracking

by "Kevin Haidl" <kevinh(at)actofmind.com>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:33:07 -0700
 To:  <hwg-languages(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
All,

My client has made a last-minute request for some pretty sophisticated user
tracking.  I would do it in PHP and MySQL using cookies, but my availability
for the week is spent.  My intuition tells me there must be something
off-the-rack to do what he asks.  Hence, I'm asking you if you know of any.
You could mimic what he wants with log-analysis tools, but to get the kind
of fine-grained data on individual vistitors, you'd have to use client id's,
likely stored in cookies.

> What we want to see is where users enter, how
> they move through the site, and where they leave
>
> User (unique ID for each--want to be able to have different "sets" of user
> IDs since we are testing multiple search engines and multiple banners,
each
> of which we can give a unique URL, and we want to track return visits.
Each
> set could simple be identified by a letter appended to the beginning of
the
> ID.)
>
> Referring URL (if any)
>
> Date of visit(s)
>
> For each date: Pages visited, time-stamped
>
> The information needs to be importable into a desktop spreadsheet or
> database for analysis. The stats I'll be extracting are:
>
> First pages visited
> Last pages visited
> Amount of time spent on each page (time differential)
> Number of pages visited by users
> Source of visitors
>
> All of the above stats should be extractable if the info is is stored
> appropriately.

Kevin Haidl
Act of Mind Communications
Web Assessment, Site Design, Site Production and Site Promotion
kevinh(at)actofmind.com     http://www.actofmind.com     (604) 734-5098