Re: PHP

by "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita(at)home.ro>

 Date:  Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:49:37 +0200
 To:  "John Nichel" <jnichel(at)by-tor.com>,
"David D Pippen" <pipwax1(at)bellsouth.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

Does anyone know if I can do something to run faster a PHP program?

I've tried running the folowing program as a test with perl and with PHP:

for($i=0; $i <= 100000; $i++) {
print "$i\n";
}

Perl executed this program in 6 seconds, while PHP executed it in 3 minutes,
meaning 30 times slower.

I didn't executed them on a web server, but only as standalone programs, so
it doesn't matter for the moment if the perl or php interpreter is run
separately or as a web server module.
The difference of running them as a web server module is much less than a
second anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I heard that the PHP programs can be encrypted/compiled in a way that they
could be made to run a little faster.
Is it true? Please tell me how, ...if you know.

Thanks.