RE: redirect to Home Button is a bad idea

by "Cyanide _7" <leo7278(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 09 Feb 2000 18:24:15 CST
 To:  Chad.Johnson(at)octanner.com
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
just a little clarification:

>I know it's a terrible practice and redundant. I need to do it anyway. Is
>it
>possible in IE? This is how it works in Netscape 4+:

<FORM>
   <INPUT TYPE = "BUTTON"  VALUE = "Exit to your home page"
   onClick="home();">
</FORM>
>Notice this is a form (html) and not JavaScript.

if you think this doesn't require JavaScript, your sadly mistaken. HTML
EventHandlers are handled by JavaScript. anything in onClick must be a
scripting command.

>This gives the object though
>(home  Thanx Cyanide). I added "home()" to my JavaScript and it works in
>NN4+.

object, what object. *home* is a method of the window object and can also be
written window.home(); self.home(); top.home(); etc... its not an object.

I would like to make it work in IE too. Apparently IE uses a different
>object to go to the browser's home button. If anyone knows what it is ...

objects aside, i do not believe IE provides a method for sending the user to
the current home page. I could very well be wrong about this of course... -
Cyanide_7