Re: One language vs. another on the Web...

by "Cyanide _7" <leo7278(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Mar 2000 02:34:57 CST
 To:  armadill(at)earthlink.net
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Hmmm.  The old portability argument.

that it is...  ;o�

>So, here's my situation:
>
>Let's say we are going to script the UI.  So, everything that runs on or
>near the browser is -- taken care of.
>
>My client owns and selects and supports the server.  Which runs Unix.

if your focus is on back end applications, and you know that you will always
run them on Unix, by all means use an appropriate language. if these
applications are ever going to be distributed in the future, they would only
run on limited platforms, unless they are translated of course. this would
be a real advatage of Java.

the
>systems programs run there.  If we have to upgrade, etc., we get to choose
>how and to what platform.  (We already decided we'd compile the Java, if we
>go with Java, if Sun will permit us, for speed.)
>
>Then there are arguments such as:
>
><http://www.ski-epic.com/randomstorage/javacritique.html>

the critique had many good points showing where Java lacks speed and
functionality, but where he ranted and raved about threads and exceptions,
all i could envision was a 4yr old whining about having to eat his veggies.
and as far as browser independant, well im not sure what went wrong or who
screwed up, but this simply does not seem to be the case with Applets!

>And, finally, I have had some incredibly astute clients who just recently
>decided to do all their SDK development (they develop platform-independent
>SDKs for Web-based applications)  in C.  Straight C.  Why?  Because it's
>more dependable and portable and flexible, they claim, than Java (they
>release all source code with their APIs).
>
>I agree that the decision between Java and C++ has nothing to do with
>faster or easier.

unfortunately, it just might...

>See why I'm confused?

it seems to me that Java is still in its infantile stages. bear in mind that
it was intended to run your VCRs, refrigerators, and toasters! maybe Java
isn't the best choice for your application at this time... good luck! -
Cyanide_7