Re: Fw: Opening and closing windows

by "Cyanide _7" <leo7278(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 30 May 2000 17:15:14 CDT
 To:  francis_mariani(at)hotmail.com
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
there are two ways of doing this. you can obtain a reference to any window
by its target or name. these can be set from the actual window object or
while creating a new window:

window.name = "foobar";
window.open("somefile.html","foobar","");

and the reference can be caught with the window.open method:

var myWin = window.open('',"foobar");

also, the window.open method returns the window object of the window just
created and can be caught by a varible:

var myWin = window.open("somefile.html","foobar");

in addition, each opened window has the opener property, which is a
reference to the window that just opened it. you can either capture a
reference to Window2 from Window3 and immediately call the close method from
the returned object:

// in Window3
window.open('',"Window2").close();

where Window2 was created with the name "Window2". or you can go through the
opener object:

// in Window3
window.opener.win2.close();

where Window2 was stored as a property *win2* of the openers window object:

// in Window1
window.win2 = window.open("somefile.html","Window2");

hope this helps. - Cyanide_7