PHP vs Perl redux (was: how big is too big for .htpassword?)

by David Mintz <mambomintz(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:45:29 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I appreciate everyone's suggestions & generosity with
their time.

Amer Neely suggests Perl, and indeed that's what I've
been using exclusively until recently. I've found that
on my overloaded shared server when I run even a small
Perl script, the performance is atrocious, and I
experimented with mod_perl, and found it too
challenging for my post-newbie level. I got all the
weird behavior they warn you about, and could not
figure out how to solve it (despite R-ing TFM), and
cannot control server configuration or anything, and
more or less gave up.

Then I started working with PHP, and it smokes! So
that's why I'm thinking PHP.

--- Amer Neely <aneely(at)softouch.on.ca> wrote:
<snip>
> In my case, I program in Perl on a Unix server, so I
> slurp the whole
> password file into an array, then into a hash. The
> password file is in a
> format like this:
<snip>
> User1|7amZNkl9MiI/E
> User2|7a2qaG4whQz2Y
>
> I think you'll find if you get a grip on Perl and
> especially hashes, a
> lot of otherwise hard / complicated tasks resolve
> much faster and
> easier. At least that's been my experience. And a
> thousand users is
> nothing to handle. Good luck and have fun eh!

David Mintz
Spanish Interpreter, US District Court
Southern District of New York
Web Design & Hosting http://dmintzweb.com/