Re: Apache/Linux with windows98

by David Mintz <mambomintz(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Many thanks for KathyW's detailed and thoughtful reply
to a question that has occupied me for years.

I'm probably one of many Windows users who does Web
stuff on his hosting service's *nix machines and loves
it, but isn't quite proficient enough to get a Linux
system of one's own going with no help beyond RTFM
--the docs, the FAQs, the list and Usenet archives,
etc.

I've tried and tried hard THREE (3) times over the
years and have reluctantly given up each time, so
here's my negative experience, FWIW:

(1) Tried Slackware back in about 1996 or 1997.
Couldn't get it to work worth a damn.

(2) Tried Redhat 6.0 and couldn't get it to work with
hardly any of my hardware -- video, mouse, printer,
tape drive, modem, etc. Sure, I could boot it and send
email to myself at localhost.

(3) Tried Debian 2.2 and couldn't get the Intellimouse
or video working right, couldn't get it to see my
Linksys Ethernet card, (spent a LOT of time
[a-z]{4}ing with that), ergo no Internet.

One thing that did --and does-- work great for my dual
booting is using BootMagic, which came with the
PartitionMagic that I already happened to own. My
Linux is on the second physical drive and the Debian
docs say something about booting with LILO being a
problem when you're thus set up.

Maybe I'll give SuSE a look.

Thanks

David Mintz