Re: java recommendations

by "Sharon Elix" <sharon(at)linuxmail.org>

 Date:  Sun, 31 Mar 2002 07:12:50 +0800
 To:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
In my opinion (and many others), JBuilder is the best out there for Java IDEs (deploys on Solaris, Linux, Mac as well as Windows!). Of the professional Java developers I know, all use JBuilder. Note tho, that the Personal edition of JBuilder doesn't have all the bells and whistles found in the Enterprise edition, including EJB support.

For books, it depends what you want to do ... if it's JSP then Core Servlets and Java Server Pages (JSP) by Marty Hall has some good sample code. I suggest you look at Amazon and see which Java Web Programming books get the 5 star treatment.

For language fundamentals, I found the following books extremely useful:

Core Java 2, Volume 1: Fundamentals
Cay S. Horstmann, Gary Cornell

Java 2: The Complete Reference
by Herbert Schildt

There's also Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel, the entire text which is freely available on the web (see http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/)

Hope this helps ...
S.

Ps The nutshell books are very good too, but particularly when you know what you're doing and have good familiarity with the language.