Re: browser AND platform detection COMBINED

by Nancy Hastings-Trew <nancy(at)hypertextdigital.com>

 Date:  Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:37:09 -0500
 To:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 17:55 20/01/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Niclas,
>Look through the material at:
>http://style.verso.com/
>There is a lot of material. Much of the problem with different OS's has
>to do with the displays of Windows, and Macs. Here is part of a section
>discussing this problem.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>A point is 1/72". On a system displaying 72 pixels per logical inch (Mac
>OS standard ppi), 1 point equals 1 pixel. On a system displaying 96 or
>120 ppi (standard Windows settings), 1 point equals 1.333 or 1.667
>pixels, respectively.
>The formula for ppem is a(b/72), where a is the font size, and b is the
>logical resolution figure. For example, 12 points at 72 ppi (the legacy
>Mac OS browser default) or 9 points at 96ppi have a ppem value of 12.
>Twelve points at 96ppi (the legacy Windows browser default), or 16
>points at 72ppi both have a ppem of 16.
>Twelve points at 90ppi have 15ppem, and 12 points at 120 ppi (Windows
>"large fonts") have 20ppem.
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My understanding is that PPI is pretty irrelevant as a platform issue owing
to the fact that monitors will display different PPI depending on what the
resolution is set at. Saying 72 PPI is a MAC standard assumes that all MAC
monitors are set to low resolution. The MACS I've seen lately don't seem to
be any slouch in the high resolution display department.

What about WINTELS with displays of 640 x 480 VS displays of 1280 X 1024?
The PPI is sure to be different on those systems.  A platform detect is not
going to fix that.

If you are concerned about display size use a window size detection routine
rather than an OS detection. Then you should be covered for anything.

cheers,

Nancy