Re: Perl vs. ASP: which is more efficient

by Ilya Dubinsky <ilya788(at)inter.net.il>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:08:49 +0200
 To:  "Glaser,
Phil" <Phil.Glaser(at)Dialogic.com>
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org

                         Hi!

>Hi,
>
>My company looks like it's deciding to make SQL Server the corporate
>standard for web data base backend. (I've been using FoxPro in conjunction
>with West Wind Web Connect as the CGI mechanism.)
>
>The question now becomes -- what programming interface do I use for SQL
>server. The IT people here claim that ASP is more efficient than perl,
>resulting in better overall performance. I expressed my doubts about this
>assertion, but didn't have any hard facts (neither do they, of course). Any
>feedback (anectodal or whatever) would be helpful.

         OK, Network Computing once stated that their tests showed
PerlScript in ASP is more effective than VBscript. So you can use both Perl
and ASP. Any embedded scripting engine will always be better than CGI. It
is up to you what scripting solution to select - I strongly recommend
Apache+PHP3 on a Unix system (like FreeBSD or Linux for Intel platforms)

>Thanks!
>
>Phil Glaser
>FirstCall WebMaster
>Dialogic, an Intel Company