Re: One language vs. another on the Web...

by Berk/Devlin <armadill(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:17:54 -0800
 To:  "Cyanide _7" <leo7278(at)hotmail.com>
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hmmm.  The old portability argument.

So, here's my situation:

Let's say we are going to script the UI.  So, everything that runs on or
near the browser is -- taken care of.

My client owns and selects and supports the server.  Which runs Unix.  The
systems programs run there.  If we have to upgrade, etc., we get to choose
how and to what platform.  (We already decided we'd compile the Java, if we
go with Java, if Sun will permit us, for speed.)

Then there are arguments such as:

<http://www.ski-epic.com/randomstorage/javacritique.html>

And, finally, I have had some incredibly astute clients who just recently
decided to do all their SDK development (they develop platform-independent
SDKs for Web-based applications)  in C.  Straight C.  Why?  Because it's
more dependable and portable and flexible, they claim, than Java (they
release all source code with their APIs).

I agree that the decision between Java and C++ has nothing to do with
faster or easier.

See why I'm confused?

--Emily