Re: Changing text

by Jim Coffield <coffield(at)cet.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:55:05 -0500
 To:  John Starkey <jstarkey(at)advancecreations.com>
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think I know what your problem is. When you use outerHTML you are
replacing not only the contents of the element named "name" but also the
referenced element itself. for example,:

initial code:

javascript:

name.outerHTML="<font size=+2>help</font>"

result:

(without the surrounding <p> tag)

either include the referenced element tag in the javascript statement:

or use innerHTML since it only replaces code with the referenced element:

name.innerHTML="<font size=+2>help</font>"

I hope this helps