RE: Linux

by "Walter Kesting" <kesting(at)mindspring.com>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:19:09 -0400
 To:  "'Satya'" <satyap(at)satya.virtualave.net>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
From: owner-hwg-servers(at)hwg.org [mailto:owner-hwg-servers(at)hwg.org]On
Behalf Of Satya
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 4:30 PM
To: hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
Subject: RE: Linux

On Sep 19, 2000 at 10:00, Walter Kesting wrote:

>Go get the current version of Red hat.  They are profitable and not going
>go out of business tomorrow morning.  http://www.redhat.com/apps/download/

That is not even an issue here. Linuxers don't care if a company goes out
of business; Linux isn't run by a company. Redhat falling down would be
bad for morale, but not too bad.

***OF COURSE it IS an issue.  If he needs help that he can not get from
someplace else he can BUY it from his vendor.  I am a LINUXER and I CARE.
When you have a problem and you can afford the best answer you BUY it just
like you hire Dr. Christian Barnard when you have a heart problem.

>has a downlaod for free option but it takes a long time as it is a BIG
file.

Isn't that the 2-CD ISO image?

***"That is not even an issue here"  What difference does it make?  He can
download or order shipped via UPS.

>I think it will run on 16 mb of ram and lots of people still run it on a
>486. check the web site and see what minimum requirements they have.

Bah. Minimum requirements are for a locked setup. Throw out X, and it'll
be fine on a 486/16MB.

***BAH yourself Ebeneeeeezer.  If that is ALL he has then that is ALL he
has!  The answer was based upon his question!  Not on a 60 minute psych
evaluation by Freud with a healthy guess at his anticipated question.
>The only difficulty with Linux is that EVERY three letter combination means
>SOMETHING.  also, there is a linux convention every spring in Raliegh? or

[satyap]~$ aaa
bash: aaa: command not found
[satyap]~$ djw
bash: djw: command not found

Nope :-)

***OK, Ebeneeeezer, lets me change the word EVERY to GAZILLION.  Do you feel
better now?

>other city. there are also linux magazines and on line sites that provide
>discussion and tutorials

Yeah, Linux tech support is everywhere, because Linux is supported by
users. I believe Redhat has a free support thing. I think it's free. Have
to register, though. IIRC registration is also free. Ah, I just
checked. Apparently they also have 'commercial' support. You don't need
that.

****Oh, yeah?  It Linux Tech Support is EVERYWHERE?  Well certainly Mr. Ed
cannot give it to us and neither can Mr. Greenjeans.

**
--
Satya. <URL:http://satya.virtualave.net/>
US-bound grad students! For pre-apps, see <URL:http://quickapps.cjb.net/>