Re: Web server down warning

by "Mike Eovino" <meovino(at)erols.com>

 Date:  Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:53:57 -0500
 To:  <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Graham,

I use an outside service called Webpartner (www.webpartner.com).  They will
check up to 5 URL's every 20 minutes for $179/year, and they send you e-mail
when any are unreachable (not so great if you're running SMTP on your
webserver and your server's down, they suggest getting a pager that can
receive e-mail [which I'm getting]).  We decided to go with this because we
have a flaky firewall (not my choice, but when you host on an AS/400 because
your company is Blue through and through, you do what they tell you), so
just using server monitoring software wouldn't work for us.  Anyway, I'm
still in the free evaluation period, so I'm not sure how I feel about it,
but so far I'm pretty pleased with it.  It's picked up any time the server
has been down since I've signed up.

Mike Eovino
Webmaster
Estes Express Lines