Re: ASP load times SLOW!

by "Todd Philipps" <todd(at)anvil-group.com>

 Date:  Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:57:15 -0700
 To:  <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Here is where we are.

Up until last week we were running on 2 P800 dual processors, using
WebDirector for load balancing, on 2 T1 lines.
Mondays and tuesdays were pure hell on us.  We were dropping traffic because
we were at 100% utilization on our bandwidth.  To cure this we brought in a
T3 line.  Now we are at 4% utilization but our servers are freaking.
We have 1400 users hitting each box and response time fell off the charts...
between 30 seconds to 30 minutes.  Once we brought up an additional box (3
total now), and the user sessions fell below 1000 on each box, things were
smooth.
The weird thing is the CPUs and memory were well below 15% utilization thru
all of this.  So the machines were not the problem.

I found a couple docs on microsoft.com for tuning IIS.  The main thing we
found was to play with the RequestQueueMax and ProcessorThreadMax settings.
This looks like what we need to do.

Looks like we were running just below max when we had the T1 to bottleneck
our traffic.  Now that we are letting everyone in, the queues are over
flowing and creating the new bottleneck.

We are monitoring the queues, requests and httpservice.

If anyone is interested you can find more info about RequestQueueMax and
ProcessorThreadMax settings at:
http://www.microsoft.com/isn/whitepapers/tuningiis.asp

Thanks again!
Todd.