Re: Moving to IIS

by "Kathy Evans" <kje(at)vendetta.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:02:03 -0000
 To:  "Hwg-Servers (E-mail)" <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>,
"Steve Bassler" <bassmstr(at)westol.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I haven't tried this on PWS as I only keep it on my laptop for use when
really bored in hotels, but this is what you need to do first, in IIS.

Configuring a Script Interpreter
IIS provides built-in JScript and VBScript interpreters. However, to run CGI
scripts written in another language, such as Perl, you must install and
configure a Win-32 compatible version of the script interpreter. To do so,
take the following steps:
 1. Obtain the script interpreter. The following Web sites provide Win32
implementations of Perl, TCL, Python, and REXX:
� Perl: http://www.activestate.com/
� TCL: http://www.scriptics.com/
� Python: http://www.python.org/windows/
� REXX: http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/orexx/

 Note    The ActiveState Tool Corporation provides three Perl interpreters
of interest to IIS developers: Perl for Win32 (Perl.exe), Perl for ISAPI
(PerlIS.dll), and PerlScript, an Active Scripting interpreter for PerlScript
code in ASP pages.
 2. Install the script interpreter. Extract the script interpreter archive
into a new directory on your hard drive, for example, c:\perl. Be sure
directory names are expanded from the archive. Follow the instructions
provided by the vendor to build the script interpreter from the source code
package and install the files. If the script interpreter package contains
files with long file names, when downloading from the Internet, be sure to
use a zip file handler that opens them correctly, such as WinZip or Info-Zip
Unzip.
 Note    Before running install.bat, you might want to change directory to
the DOS version of your directory if you gave it a long file name. This will
ensure that readable paths are listed in the registry.
 3. Set permissions. In Windows Explorer, set NTFS permissions on the
directory containing the script interpreter by giving Execute permissions to
the Everyone account. Next, set permissions on the directory containing the
actual scripts. For testing purposes, you can give Read access permissions
to the Everyone user account. Otherwise, you should set access permissions
to Script, and disable Read access permissions. In the Internet Services
Manager (ISM), set Script only permissions on the scripts virtual directory.
 4. Set application mappings. In the ISM, map the extension for the script
file(s) to the executable for the script interpreter. For example, you might
map the extension .py to Python.exe, the executable for the Python script
interpreter.
 Note   For the ActiveState Perl script interpreter, the extension .pl is
associated with PerlIS.dll by default. If you want to change the association
of .pl to perl.exe, you need to change the application mapping. In the
mapping, you must add two percent (%) characters to the end of the pathname
for perl.exe, as shown in this example: c:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s.
 5. Set permissions on the script interpreter executable directory. In the
ISM, edit the application configuration for the home directory to recognize
the script interpreter executable.

You also need to make sure that the script returns the right headers -
something like
print "HTTP/1.0 200 OK\n";

as the first line.

Then check out these on support.Microsoft .com or wherever TechNet has moved
to today.
Q158732
Q186801
Q150629