Re: email headers

by "Lyle Giese" <lyle(at)lcrcomputer.com>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:42:04 -0500
 To:  "Kevin Bayley" <webmaster(at)prairienorth.com>,
"Hwg-Servers List \(E-mail\)" <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
In the headers of an email message, consider everything forgable except
possibly the ip address of the sending computer.  It's trivial to forge or
make those other fields say just about anything.  It's harder to forge the
sending IP address but not entirely impossible, but just out of reach for
99.9% of the spammers out there.

But the message is a 'judgement' call from your email server that indicates
they cann't verify that the mail server sending the email is the one that
should be sending email for the stated domain of the stated sender.

Lyle