Re: Custom pages for robots!

by "The Web Center" <admin(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 06:05:20 -0500
 To:  <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The note below is correct, and would be the proper way to do things...if
this system weren't abused.

Unfortunately, too many people still think in traditional terms, where the
audience is an "enemy" to be "captured".  So, they will present the robots
with anything necessary to draw traffic,even if the information is
misleading.  So the search engines respond by barring the sites that use it,
simple because of the abuse.  Typing in :Astronomy" and getting a sex site
is not usually the result of poor indexing on the search engine...it's the
result of deliberate mis-representation on the part of the site.  How this
is supposed to convince intelligent people to shop at that site is a mystery
to all but highly training, highly paid "marketing experts".

Personally, as a programmer, I feel that cloaking is a much neater solution
than huge lists of doorways.  Since I can't stop either system from being
abused, I guess I will just have to go with the flow...which is generally
controlled by the search engines.

Darrell

The Web Center
Web Site Solutions