Re: Http-Referer ?

by "Frederic Fillon" <fillon(at)webstore.fr>

 Date:  Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:39:02 +0100
 To:  <hwg-servers(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
About Http-Referer,

What is exactly the mecanism for this variable ?
I would like understand how apache use this variable.
When someone use Teleport Pro and/or Getright how to block him ? I tried by
using the HTTP_REFERER doing something like

if ($HTTP_REFERER <> "http://www.mywebsite.com")
{
go_to_home_page()
}

So when I type directly (or If I came from an another web site very usefull
because of search engines, and if you want the user go to the first or go to
read a disclamer...)
the url I go to the first page But when someone uses Teleport he can dowload
all the web site (this mecanism works fine but only for a few web
harvesters)!!!

Does someone know how to protect himself from teleport pro or other web
harvester? (I  use the USER_AGENT but the user can change the USER_AGENTand
the same with robot.txt...)

/*    WEBSTORE STAFF
        Fr�d�ric FILLON
  Little Guru / Web Master