Re: setting up servers

by "John Romano" <jromano(at)pb.net>

 Date:  Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:13:57 -0500
 To:  "Jason Brett" <jbbrett(at)zigzagnet.com>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
If you're looking for low administrative learning curve using a UNIX type
server, I'd recommend looking into the Cobalt Raq servers.
http://www.cobalt.com

They're preloaded with everything you might want, they have a pretty
administrative web based GUI and the price isn't too bad for a fairly well
configured system ($1,700ish w/ 64mb and 8.4gb).  They aren't overly
expandable due to their size. (1U/1.75" thick for high density rackmount
installations).

It may seem expensive for a PC, but the administrative GUI will save you
years of training.  You decide.  DNS, Sendmail, Apache WWW, SSL, Virtual
Hosting, Users... all administed via web browser.

In all honesty I haven't bought one of these servers --- yet.  I've done
some research on it and I'll probably be picking up one for evaluation very
shortly.

I Primarily use the HP Netserver Lpr for web services, but HP is
(justifiably) expensive.

Good luck
John Romano
Long Island Internet HeadQuarters