Re: domains without www.

by "M Systems Software, LLC - Chris Moos" <msystems(at)msyssoft.com>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:53:13 -0500
 To:  "beth" <beth(at)netstat.com>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Beth,

Hopefully you are managing your own DNS.  With that
said...to have your domain answer to www.company.com or
company.com:

ON your DNS Server files...
create your primary domain as "company.com" instead of
www.company.com
create an alias as "www" for company.com domain

We use Apache on various OS's - NT, Solaris, etc.... what
this means to you is that the 700+ domains we manage all
answer both ways.

You will also want to create aliases for:
ftp
pop
popd
pop3
smtp
etc, etc, etc....

Additionally consider giving your mail exchange  (MX record)
server a primary name of mail.company.com, then
pop.company.com, popd.company.com, etc....

Write me off list for additional info

Regards,
Chris Moos