Re: bcc

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:25 EST
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Internet Folklore is that when email is sent, it must have at least one
> explicit recipient... if not a BBC list will be revealed by ~some~
> (typically unmentioned) email agents.

And I'm now recalling from a few years back that MCI's servers
simply wouldn't accept any message which had *only* Bcc recipients.
I think I tried arguing with MCI that this voilated some RFC
(I've long since forgotten which one).  Silly me - don't ask me
how far got with *that*.

> The solution is to have one address (such as yourself) on
> the To: header, and then the Bcc: header(s) as needed.
>
> Should be easy to test... and might even do the trick.

Yep, that indeed did it.  Thanks.  FWIW, it's not like I didn't
do research: O'Reilly's "sendmail" (2nd ed, pg794) says that the
Bcc's should be supressed.  But I think if *all* of sendmail's
nuances were in this book, it'd be twice as big.  :)

-John