Me too: Moving to NT

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:28 EST
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Let me idly comment on:
>Putting aside how I feel about everything Micro$oft, I'm going
>to have to deal with this.

and say "Me too."  :)

We're not the most MicroSoft-savvy bunch of people here, but
management here likes the idea of using ColdFusion to develop
web apps quickly - especially since there's apparently a greater
pool of CF-savvy people than Perl people.  Also, we're having a
hard time finding Perl programmers right now anyway plus some of
the CF pre-fab'd apps look appealing.  (We've duly considered
and ruled out InterDev.)

We also do not need the big database engines: Oracle, Sybase and
Informix all seem like using a dump truck to pull a little red
wagon.  MS SQL-server is still too MicroSoft-centric for our
tastes - tho' I know we can probably import/export stuff fairly
readily.  But anyway, we're currently leaning toward mySQL.

Management would not be adverse to a Linux solution, but
a Linux/CF/mySQL combo isn't quite yet available.  So with
a grimace from me, we're about to turn to NT.  But at least
when this Linux combo DOES become available, we have the option
of turning to it later.  I'm eying Cobalt servers...one day.

Anyway, like I said, these are just idle comments.  Opinions
to the contrary are certainly welcome.

 -John Koch                               -  -  -  __o
 Knowledge Systems, Inc.              -  -  - -  _ \<,_
 <John.ksi(at)webplus.net>                   - -   (_)/ (_)