Re: Stupid DNS Questions

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:13 EST
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Right now, www.estes-express.com points to my site, as it should.  I would
>like for estes-express.com and my.estes-express.com to point to my site as
>well.  I'm assuming this is a DNS issue.  AT&T handles our DNS, do I get
>them to add the DNS entries?  Do I have to involve the Internic/Network
>Solutions at all (boy I hope not)?

Yep, DNS issue.  In technical terms, have your ISP (AT&T) create
two more "A" records in the zone file of estes-express.com - and
provide AT&T with the IP address of, in your case, www.estes-express.com
for those two new records to point to.

It's not an NSI issue (looks like they're being bought by VeriSign, btw)
because you're just changing a zone file that AT&T already has and
which NSI is already pointing to.

> And is there any way to make my.estes-express.com point at a
> different page on my site?

That's a matter of your web server - tho' yes, most do this.
Perhaps look for "virtual server" in your server's documentation...

-John Koch                               -  -  -  __o
Knowledge Systems, Inc.              -  -  - -  _ \<,_
<John.ksi(at)webplus.net>                   - -   (_)/ (_)
(A NET-FRIENDLY SIG. http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Edu/ICG/pt1.ch2.Etiquette.html )