Re: Single-hit visitor generates 304 Status Code

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Wed, 8 Mar 2000 08:29 EST
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>304 - Not Modified (And generically for all 3xx codes: This code tells the
>client that the browser should be redirected to another URL in order to
>complete the request. This is not an error condition.)

That description is misleading - OK, incorrect.  304 is the server's
way of saying that the file hasn't been modified since the client
last asked for it.  (See RFC 1945 for http/1.0 - I can't recall which
RFC covers http/1.1 but the meaning of 304 hasn't changed.)  But
304 has nothing to do with redirecting.

If your image file is the ONLY thing being requested from this
particular client, then it kinda/sorta sounds like somebody
has a page of their own which may have an "img src" pointing
to your image on your server.  Not nice.

-John Koch                               -  -  -  __o
Knowledge Systems, Inc.              -  -  - -  _ \<,_
<John.ksi(at)webplus.net>                   - -   (_)/ (_)
(A NET-FRIENDLY SIG. http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Edu/ICG/pt1.ch2.Etiquette.html )