IP-less webhosting ?

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 2000 06:49 EDT
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I've got a new parent company and I want to move my customers'
web sites to the company's colo center.  So I asked for a bunch
of IP addresses, and the following is their reply.  Can somebody
explain what it means to go IP-less?  Pros?  Cons?

If it means using mutliple virtual servers under a single IP
address, I'm not so sure our users all use HTTP v1.1 - and I
think v1.0 won't work with virtual servers?

> Can you go IP-less with your clients?  ARIN's policies are strongly
> suggesting we use IP-less hosting.  Please try to work that out as best you
> can.
>
> I can assign IPs and configure switch ports within a couple hours of your
> requests.  Tell me how many ports you will need and I'll get you an initial
> block of IP.  Please have your contact at the Vienna Data Center give me a
> call so we can plan where your server(s) will be connected.

 -John