Re: IP-less webhosting?

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:45 EDT
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
> which tries to do double reverse lookup. That is, they look up the
> name, and make sure it matches the IP, and then look up the IP
> and make sure it matches the name.

Do Email servers out there also do reverse lookups??  Fer instance,
if my web server sends out Email, might the receiving Email server
"validate" the sending system by looking up the domain name for
the sending IP address and then check to see if the resulting name
matches the domain name in "HELO" message of the SMTP dialog - then if
there's a mismatch, at the very least indicate "possibly forged"
in the RFC822 header, or perhaps reject the message altogether?

I think my other worry about name-based web serving regards the
web sites where we allow customers to put up their own CGIs.
Seems to me a screwed-up CGI can halt an instance of the
web server.  I'd much rather this kind of problem only affect
the one customer rather than halt an instance of the web server
which is doing name-based serving for MULTIPLE customers.
Does this sound like a valid concern?

-John