Re: IP-less webhosting?

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Sun, 24 Sep 2000 09:02 EDT
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In repy to:
>The cgi problem is a problem for any virtual web server,
>whether IP or name based.

I'm thinkin' I misstated the question...

With only a few exceptions, each of my customers' websites are
running under *separate* instances of the web server software
(Netscape ES) using their own IP addresses but sharing the same
hunk o' hardware.

I've seen CGI's hang.  They're not using CPU, and they're not "defunct",
but they just hang out there.  And each hang holds onto one thread for
the given server instance.  Obviously, if this happens enough times,
the instance of the web server will no longer accept new connections.
Yet this doesn't interfer with other web sites on that system (at least
not enough at the OS level vis-a-vis memory and socket allocations to
really affect the entire box).

If I go with *virtual* servers - ie, multiple web sites serviced by
one instance of the server software - then one screwed up CGI can
gunk up *multiple* web sites.  Not a good thing.

Maybe I'm behind the times vis-a-vis virtual servers, but there's
my worry.  Make sense?

-John