Re: Search engines

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:08 EST
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>What are folks using for search engines? We've tried htdig, but there
>seem to be some security concerns with that. Any recommendations?

There are probably a lot of good choices.  But we went with
Webinator - www.thunderstone.com/webinator .  The freeware version
is just fine for relatively straight-forward use.  And if
straight-forward use is fine for you, then you should be able to have
it set up and running within about 20 minutes.  Beyond that, even
the freeware gets as complicated as you need it to be, imho.  You
can throw SQL at the resulting database to produce all kindsa info.
Webinator is used by folks like Ebay, ZDnet and, from the looks of
it, CNN.

I'm not familiar with htdig nor the security concerns.  But
webinator can be made to respect or ignore robot.txt files and
it can be supplied with a user ID and password to get at
http-secured pages.

 -John Koch                               -  -  -  __o
 Knowledge Systems, Inc.              -  -  - -  _ \<,_
 <John.ksi(at)webplus.net>                   - -   (_)/ (_)